Come and play Airport madness game , i have heard its awesome and many people play it

Monday, June 20, 2005

Kiwi weather n pee- pal

I can’t see clearly now …

We, the residents of Auckland and its suburbs, are experiencing winter in all its glory (read: fury!). It has been brutal. Temperature has “dipped” (I would have used the word plummeted) to 3 degree Celsius, according to Weather forecasting on SKY watch. If you are like me and numbers, positive or negative, don’t make much sense to your grey cells then maybe this would help “if you are outside without gloves for a few minutes your will experience frostbite.” All I want to do is hibernate.

As if the bone chilling wind wasn’t enough, there’s snow. And, when there is snow you can be rest assured no matter what road you are on in Auckland you are going to sit in it. Even turtles seem walking light years faster than your 6 cylinder, mega horsepower motorized vehicle. Day before yesterday, it took me 2 hours 45 minutes to reach work. By the time I reached, I was ready to turn back but decided to rest for a while and then make the arduous journey home.

Weather … cold or hot … is crucial to Kiwis. It is a great ice-breaker! If it were not for weather, I think many of us wouldn’t know what to talk about. Across local convenience stores and human lines outside washrooms in Mc donalds, people walk right up to you and say “It is cold, eh?” They reinforce the coldness, just in case you had failed to notice. “Yeah,” you nod as your water runs out of your nose and eyes.
“I heard it is going to go down even more tonight.”
“Really. Good Lord, can it get any worse.”
“Actually yes! I heard on the radio this weekend we will experience snow storm with winds gushing upto 60km/hr.”
“ Geez!”
“I know. I can’t remember it being this cold … over the last 6 months.” (It should be noted here that NZ actually does have 4 seasons)
”oh well, bundle up (read: look hideous) and enjoy. It ain’t gonna last forever."
"Yep. Before you know it will be spring" ... as you close the door of the public washroom at Mc donalds.

And, it is this last cheery note – hope - that keeps us here … together … rain or snow.

No comments: